Friday, May 24, 2024

Doherty says ‘messy’ manager hunt lacks clarity

Must read

Matt Doherty has said the Republic of Ireland’s ongoing search for a new head coach is “messy”, adding that there’s a lack of clarity around the protracted process.

Stephen Kenny departed last November as the FAI decided against renewing his contract. Last Friday, the association’s director of football Marc Canham admitted that he does not expect an appointment until September.

It’s likely that John O’Shea will be reappointed as interim manager after he oversaw a friendly draw with Belgium and defeat to Switzerland.

Willy Sagnol and Gus Poyet have both been linked to the post, as have the likes of Anthony Barry, Chris Hughton and Roy Keane.

However the wait for Kenny’s permanent successor continues, with Doherty airing his own frustration with the process.

“I don’t know what’s going on over there,” he told the BBC.

“It looks messy. It seems to be taking a while and there doesn’t seem to be any clarity.

“If it is John then it will be pretty good.

“Really they needed someone for the summer so they can implement what they want to do before the games start getting competitive.”

Last week James McClean – who retired from international football back in November – said the hunt for a new boss was “a bit of a shambles”.

The Derryman also backed O’Shea to get the job, saying: “John’s a great football man, a lot of knowledge in the game, I don’t see what they’d be losing giving it to John if I’m honest.

“He’s quite a likeable man, he’s good with the lads, he knows the game inside out, been there and done it at the highest level.

“I think they could do a lot worse than give it to John.”

Latest article